Our Policy Council
Welcome to Buchanan County Head Start
Buchanan County Policy Council
What is the Policy Council?
The Head Start Policy Council is a governing body of concerned parents and community people. The Policy Council meets once a month during the program year.
Policy Councils and Policy Committees must be comprised of two types of representatives: parents of currently enrolled children and community representatives. At least 51 percent of the members of these policy groups must be the parents of currently enrolled children. Parents of children currently enrolled in all program options must be proportionately represented on established policy groups.
Community representatives must be drawn from the local community: businesses; public or private community, civic, and professional organizations; and others who are familiar with resources and services for low-income children and families, including for example the parents of formerly enrolled children.
All parent members of Policy Councils or Policy Committees must stand for election or re-election annually. All community representatives also must be selected annually.
Policy Councils and Policy Committees must limit the number of one-year terms any individual may serve on either body to a combined total of three terms.
What Does Policy Council Do?
Policy Council must review, approve or disapprove policies and procedures including:
· All funding applications and amendments to funding applications for Head Start
· Procedures describing how the governing body and the appropriate policy group will make decisions
· Engages in Strategic Planning for the Head Start agency
· With whom the Head Start agency will partner
· Annual self-assessment of the Head Start agency’s fiscal, programmatic operations
· Program personnel policies including standards of conduct for program staff, consultants, and volunteers
· Decisions to hire or terminate any person who works primarily for the Head Start program
· Serve as a link to the Parent Committees, grantee and governing body, public and private organizations, and the communities they serve.
Copyright © 2018 Buchanan County,Virginia. All Rights Reserved.